Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 am by Boman

» Cataclysm Raiding
Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:38 am by Nuelor

Blue Post Tracker

required add-ons for raiding??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

required add-ons for raiding??

Post  Lawbreaker on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 pm

It seems to me (at least in G4) that there is a lot of energy that is spent calling out who has what debuff, when such-and-such thing is going to happen, etc. during boss fights, of any sort. Not only boss fight things that are happening, but other raid-stuff.....like aggro?? Another one would be not having to actually call out for the OT to taunt off when i get a certain amount of stacks of gluth's healing debuff, or setting my DBM to tell healers that Loatheb's Necrotic Aura is about to go down with a pre-warning and a warning that it has gone down, creating lots of noise/confusion/extra crap on my own screen that distracts from my job as a tank. I know we all have different systems, and some can't handle tons of add-ons like i have on mine, but should there be a set of 'required raid addons'? Just a small suggestion:

-Deadly Boss Mods or BigWigs
-Omen or some sort of threat meter

maybe these should be minimum add ons required? It would create less talking in vent, more awareness of each other during raid encounters, and a few more things i cant think of right now but i know are good. My previous guild in my old server had required addons, and i of course dont mean to run this guild myself by any means, i just think it would help overall by letting each player focus on his or her job, maybe the mage needs to hold back a bit because he's at 103% threat?....healer is about to pull due to his massive crit raid heal? Which brings up another add on maybe for any curers/ decursers: Decursive? it's a very small addon and very simple to use...

Maybe it's too much to ask of everyone in a particular raid group to help out the overall group by downloading a few files? That's not for me to say, but i am putting it out there as food for thought. Hell, maybe im lazy to scan old posts and this was talked about before...either way i think this topic would bring up interesting conversation.

Comments, go. Slam the idea or support it, let's see what y'all have to say Very Happy
Lawbreaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: required add-ons for raiding??

Post  Daargo on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Livestock. Can't live without it.

I use Omen, Titan Panel, some boomkin mod and of course, Livestock.
Daargo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boman on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:28 pm

That is always the challenge. I've used Omen and DBM since the Kara days and we used to have them listed as requirements when raiding with DO. The problem - a number of people couldn't do it based on computers, knowledge of installing addons, etc... The second problem - a lot of people have trouble focusing on more than one thing. So even when people use the addons, many don't pay attention to them. I'm not saying it's right or wrong - I generally have no problem doing my job while watching my addons and calling things out. But leading the number of raids I do, I find that I'd rather call things out than not because someone is always out there not paying attention at the exact moment that they should be.

The real challenge - how do you hold people accountable to certain performance standards and keep them focused.

And Yes, DBM/BigWigs and Omen should really be minimum requirements for any raid.

-Boman

Boman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ozmademos on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:06 pm

I've found that the game itself provides alot of mechanics already to let a player know when they need to be doing or not doing something. Debuffs are marked just below your mini-map and all have timers on them. Typically the boss mods dont give much more additional info except to tell you when there's a chance of something happening (for instance the possible frost blast or possible mind controls for Kel'Thuzad). Otherwise, the boss mods dont give you that much more info than what the game provides. The only exception to this is probably omen, which gives you a more precise description of aggro. Supposedly WoW instituted that new thing where you can see what percentage of threat you have on a given target; but, since there's no real explanation about the percentages and what threshold's there are for pulling threat, it's kind of hard to read. Additionally you have to keep your mouse targeting the mob to see how much threat you have.

Other than that, any other boss mod is mostly extra.
Ozmademos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawbreaker on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 pm

all valid and good comments. I admit that yes some mods are just extra, but i find some of the features found in Xperl do have some use for me personally, another proof of all people having their own play style. I used to run no mods at all and i did really well, but after getting used to an add on here and there, i found it eased my gameplay by this or that much. Ex: Grobbulus. instead of looking to the right to where my debuff bar is, i have a big emote in front of me saying who's got the cloud debuff. Yes it may be a lot of emotes in front of me during the course of the fight, but my eye strain also is reduced. Class colors (paladin Pink, Rogue Yellow, Warrior brown, etc.) also help in telling me whether i should see if its my name or not, but once again play style.

Boman that's a very valid point, by calling things out you ensure that everyone hears the call and the person in question actually gets that 'HEY YOU'. I 've seen it plenty on grobbulus where someone forgets to check themselves and doesnt run to the outside to let go of the cloud, and now theres a huge green cloud in the ranged/ healer area, causing many problems. Holding people accountable for everything they do and fail to do in a raid is also tough to do when your focused on yourself and maybe one or two other people at any given time, ie. seeing that your OT gets the adds or dps holding back on Loatheb if your tank manages to get the spore buff. Very challenging indeed unless you have everyone running FRAPS and you look at everyone's video after the fact >.> lol

I like the feedback, always good to see your guys point of view.

One last comment on Threat, a reply to Oz's :

but, since there's no real explanation about the percentages and what threshold's there are for pulling threat, it's kind of hard to read

If you ARE using the WoW standard threat meter, or any threat meter for that matter, it IS important to know your pull threshold, which i can clarify. If your a melee DPS'er, your threshold to pull off the tank is 110% threat. If you are a range DPS, your threshold is 130%. Good bit of info to know =), since it's understandable some may believe that they pull at 100% threat.

Thanks for replies
Very Happy
Lawbreaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top