Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 am by Boman

» Cataclysm Raiding
Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:38 am by Nuelor

Blue Post Tracker

of Mains and Alts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

of Mains and Alts

Post  Boman on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:44 am

I would like to pose the following question to all in the hopes of some feedback. It is a question that has been asked and I'm sure one that many think about:

When Ulduar comes out, should one be able to re-assign their raiding spot to another toon they have if that toon is appropriately geared and the raid can absorb the potential role swap?

On a side note, when Ulduar comes out all DKP will be reset to 0.

-Boman

Also, please remember that as a general rule our raids do not allow alternate toons. Once you come on a toon that is the toon that you are expected to bring week after week. The only exception to this is when the raid has specific needs and it is determined that the swap would be beneficial for that raid.

Boman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: of Mains and Alts

Post  Ozmademos on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm

I'd say that it'd be fine for a person to make an even swap (dps for dps, healer for healer), especially if that person is bringing further variety into our raids. By this I mean, we typically raid with like 5-6 mages and almost no rogues, locks, or dps shammies. If someone's bringing variety into the raid and they can meet all the minimal requirements, I'd say it shouldnt matter as much.
Ozmademos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flinthrom on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Alts...ughhh. I hate alts. They bring up so many problems when they are around and complicates stuff even more.

I don't mind even role swaps like what Oz said and the variety is definitely a welcomed thing because the raid would benefit from certain things that may have been lacking because we didn't have a specific class around. MORE MANA TOTEMS PLZ!!!

Where the gripe would be is where it will always be, i.e. gear.

I'd never gear my alts at the expense of other raid member's main toons. It's a silly thought that I'd deprive someone who plays a character frequently (or only has one character) of an item they may have been wanting for whatever reason to give to my alt who I don't regularly use. But that's just me and I say this knowing that there isn't any gear I really need from our 25-man raids. Although, I could stack DKP on my main and then corner the gear market with my alt if alts are allowed Very Happy.

Flinthrom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boman on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Well, once again, Alts are not allowed into our raid unless there is a need on a given night. How do I define a Main? A Main is the toon that you choose to bring to our raids. It may not be who you consider your main, but for the purposes of our raid it is the character that you originally chose to bring with us. I think everyone gets that... I just like to reiterate Smile.

-Boman

Boman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Regihomestar on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:00 pm

My hordies are more main-y, but I bring Regiparukia.

Regihomestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boman on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:49 am

With Ulduar just around the corner, we have decided to let some people "swap" who they bring to the raid. This swap will become the new main for that raid. Just to be very clear, unless there is a specific need on a given raiding day, we do not allow alts into the raid. For those of you that were considering this, don't assume that you can do it. Please talk to me ASAP so we can work out any necessary arrangements. This is not a guarantee until you have spoken to me about it and been told that you can swap. Once you swap for Ulduar, you will not be able to go back to your current toon for Ulduar raiding with our 25-man group 1.

This was also asked, so let me clarify a second point: If you bring an alt into the raid without being asked by the raid leader to do so, you will be permanently banned from all current and future DO Raids and may be removed from the guild.

For those that may claim ignorance, it is everyone's responsibility to keep up on the website and the requirements for our raids. If someone chooses not to do that, they also choose to take the risks associated with that.

Thank you,
-Boman

Boman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rachetguy on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:20 am

I vote for no alts. They screw the regulars over. At least twice now to regular raid members.

Case: Player A has more dkp than player B. Player B patiently waits while gear is obtained by player A. Finally item drops that player B can use dkp on ... but lo and behold this regular is screwed over as person A brings in an alt never seen before and gets to benefit from dkp the other toon earned. Totally unfair. Why should person B ever show up as now this person has to wait weeks for this alt to spend enough dkp or for that item to drop (if ever) again?

Case: 2 regular healers. One with low dkp waiting for hat that other healer already has. The healer with hat decides to play alt. New healer comes as standby. Hat drops.. but as the standby has more dkp they get the hat screwing the regular over who's been there all the time.

Perhaps as a salve to the wound... alts have to yield to any main on gear.

Last edited by rachetguy on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

rachetguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daargo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:05 am

Here's the rub...

Player A plays his "main" and gets all the gear he needs and a crap load of banked DKP.

Now player A gets to play an alt and use that banked DKP while other people playing their mains are still trying to gear up.

So, in effect, with one DKP pool player A can gear up two characters while preserving his DKP dominance.

Not fair in my opinion, DKP should be by character.
Daargo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boman on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:54 am

It is a change we can certainly look at for Ulduar, and not something I am against. The reason why it is the way it is now is for the opposite reason... Someone could have come in, gotten geared up and way into the negative dkp, then gotten an Alt in and started back at 0. From our experience that hasn't happened. So I personally agree that reversing this for Ulduar and no longer linking mains and alts would be preferred.

As always, open for discussion.

-Boman

Boman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ozmademos on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:11 pm

As always I'll say that we're looking into changes to our dkp system to ensure gear is distributed as fairly as possible. But, fairness implies compromise, and no system will favor everyone equally. Right now the dkp system favors only those people who show up all the time and take very little gear.

The reality of the situation is that this is the first time an alt is being brought in to fully replace a character's other toon. If someone has alot of dkp stored up, it's because they came regularly and took very little. If anything our dkp system doesnt protect people in blues from others who want multiple sets of epic gear and won't hesitate to roll against them despite the item not being a real upgrade. This too is something being considered.

There are a number of things being considered here, and we'll all try to come to some decision. Patience is greatly appreciated, because we're bound to make mistakes now and then.
Ozmademos

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top