» Cataclysm Raiding
Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:38 am by Nuelor

Blue Post Tracker

Sun Eater Syndrome

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sun Eater Syndrome

Post  Regihomestar on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:31 pm

A guildie asked me what Sun Eater Syndrome is. Here are 3 definitions:

1) A scenario where a specific weapon in a specific instance (Ex. Sun Eater or Red Sword of Courage) either never drops when you defeat the final boss OR the group fizzles before the final boss (ex. Skadi the Ruthless or Instructor Razuvious). This weapon is awesome enough to replace plenty of the other weps in a raid instance (ex. Quel'Serrar).

2) A syndrome that applies to one's addiction of a raid based solely on the tanking weapon that drops from the final boss. Even if they have this wep, they'll still do the instance for achievements and other reasons (badge farming). This scenario mostly applies to BC because Heroic Mechanar was a pretty darn easy instance. This scenario cannot be applied to Quel'Serrar because that weapon was a quest reward, not an instance drop.

3) A term used to describe the flagrant overuse of any weapon, the fact that numerous tanks have this weapon (as can be applied with ANY tanking weapon), or a tank's rage of not having this weapon themselves.

The only people that can get Sun Eater Syndrome are Regiparukia and anybody else that regularly plays a tank; For the most part, tanks will be seeking a weapon/some form of gear. They will do the instance repeatedly until they get the drop. Sometimes it drops on their first run, and sometimes you have to do it 100 times (as I had to do with Karazhan and King's Defender). Generally tanking weapons drop the least often, thus it only applies to tanks in that respect.

EDIT: Other types of weapons (DPS/healz weps) often appear as a Rep. Reward more commonly than a tanking wep. By the time Shattered Sun Offensive had such a tanking wep for a Rep. Reward, everyone either had the King's Defender/Sun Eater/Mallet of the Tides/Cleaver of the Unforgiving/Unbreakable Will/Brutalizer. So far, Shattered Sun Offensive is the only faction with a tanking wep for a Rep reward.

Last edited by Regihomestar on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Regihomestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sun Eater Syndrome

Post  Wolfe on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:41 pm

i did nightbane 124 times before i finally got the sheild i was after

Wolfe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Regihomestar on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Wolfe wrote:i did nightbane 124 times before i finally got the sheild i was after

I guess it can apply to shields too. silent

Regihomestar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolfe on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Ya tanking weapons and shields.

Wolfe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ya...

Post  Lawbreaker on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:50 pm

lol it's funny that this comes up, as i picked up both king's defender AND the shield from nightbane as off set drops on my FIRST Karazhan run....i got Sun Eater on my first run also when i began tanking heroics and such during BC....so i cannot say ive ever had this syndrome of which you speak =)
Lawbreaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolfe on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:08 pm

Lawbreaker wrote:lol it's funny that this comes up, as i picked up both king's defender AND the shield from nightbane as off set drops on my FIRST Karazhan run....i got Sun Eater on my first run also when i began tanking heroics and such during BC....so i cannot say ive ever had this syndrome of which you speak =)

>.> Itll happen...

Wolfe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Telian on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:27 am

*shrugs* i could be applied to this, but honestly i raid to have fun, the weapons and gear are just perks Razz
Telian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top